Support and Resources For Pastors and
Christian Ministry Professionals
Thomas F. Fischer, M.Div., M.S.A., Editor
| Consulting/Seminars | MH Website Overview | Ministry Resources | MH Archives | MH Dissertations |
When In Conflict, Lead Like A Pilot
Thomas F. Fischer, M.Div., M.S.A.
- Of all the metaphors Scripture uses for the Pastoral Office, I have yet to find the metaphor of "Airplane Pilot." Though not Scriptural, Peter Drucker in his book, Managing in Turbulent Times, may have some insight for pastors flying through the storm clouds of conflict and organizational chaos. Read, mediate, learn, enjoy...and happy landings!
Step One: Adjust When Necessary
Step Two: Slow Down--Way Down--To Minimize Damage
Step Three: Go Back To Simple Fundamentals--First Things First!!!
Step Four: Set The Course...And Proceed Toward Stability!
"An enterprise [e.g. church] has to be managed both to withstand sudden blows and to avail itself of sudden expected opportunities. This means that in turbulent times the fundamentals have to be managed, and managed well."
- What are the fundamentals of ministry in your setting???
"The minimum liquidity needed to stay in business becomes something like the maneuvering speed to avoid severe structural damage....Liquidity by itself is not an objective. But in turbulent times it becomes ... a survival need. In turbulent times the priority is structural integrity and survival."
- Does your congregation have the resources to keep the church--and pastor--from crashing?
- Are you willing to hang in there when there are still enough resources to prevent a crash?
- Are you willing to bail out, if necessary, when there's not?
In turbulence it is critical to have the fundamentals handled exceptionally well - and when in doubt, or suffering severe blows, disorientation or sensory overload - fly the airplane first and foremost!
This most definitely means dealing intensely - with complete attention and awareness - on the fundamentals for survival. It also implies suspending or deferring attention from the host of other activities until a sense of positive control and positional awareness are re-established.
- Have you found a competent, trusted, experienced brother to help you "land" this thing?
- Have you enlisted every reasonable outside resource to gain essential perspective?
- And, speaking of fundamentals, what's God's will in this situation
"And He will raise you up on Eagle's Wings"... Just Ask Isaiah!
Thomas F. Fischer
Adapted From: The Best of The CEO Refresher
Copyright 1997 by Refresher Publications Inc.
All rights reserved. http://www.refresher.com
Index Articles 1-49
Articles 50-99 Articles
100-149 Articles 150-199
Articles 200-249 Articles 250-299 Articles 300-349 Articles 350-399
Main Site: http://ministryhealth.net/
FrontPage and Microsoft Internet Explorer are registered trademarks of
This page was revised on: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 11:02:31 PM